SOUTH AUSTRALIA'S TOP 5 FESTIVALS AND EVENTS
South Australia has been named the nation's Best Event State. With so much on, it's really no surprise why! Take a look at our best festivals and events.
To celebrate our inclusion in Lonely Planet’s Top 10 regions to visit in 2017, we thought we’d kick things off with a guide on how the locals party. Here are South Australia’s best parties, festivals and events!
1. Adelaide Fringe Tell me more: The Adelaide Fringe is the largest (and best, even if we do say so ourselves) open-access festival in the Southern Hemisphere. Bursting at the seams with local, interstate and international five-star acts. Last year’s Fringe well and truly took over the State, with 1,166 registered shows playing in 500 venues scattered around South Australia. Whether you’re a cabaret connoisseur, comedy king/queen, theatre tragic or just want to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere, there’s something for you at the Adelaide Fringe. The Adelaide Fringe 2017 runs from 17 February to 19 March. Want to know more? See the Adelaide Fringe website.
Adelaide Fringe, Royal Croquet Club, Victoria Square
2. WOMADelaide Tell me more: Sounds from around the world will fill Adelaide’s beautiful Botanic Park as part of WOMADelaide 2017. Awarded Australia's best contemporary music festival at the Helpmann Awards, WOMAD is Australia’s ultimate feast for the senses in Adelaide’s Botanic Park - a glorious 34-hectare green oasis. WOMADelaide assembles a wonderfully diverse program of global sounds, sights, flavours and ideas. On and off 8 stages, hundreds of the world’s finest contemporary and traditional musicians, dancers and artists are featured alongside some of the planet’s great thinkers, Adelaide’s top foodies, makers and designers and the coolest dedicated festival kidZone in the nation.
WOMADelaide 2017 runs from 10 to 13 March 2017. Want to know more? See the WOMADelaide website.
3. Adelaide 500 Tell me more: The Adelaide 500 is the largest domestic motor sport event in Australia, showcasing the very best of the motoring world. Experience the growls, roars and screeches of some of the fastest cars in the world – if you’re automotive-inclined, you’d be mad to miss out. Each night, the Adelaide 500 stage will come to life with exceptional live music with Robbie Williams headlining the 2018. You’ll find loads of entertainment for the whole family, including family fun zones, rides, amusements and face painting.
Want to know more? See the Adelaide 500 website.
4. Tasting Australia Tell me more: From paddock to plate, Tasting Australia is a journey through South Australia’s sprawling culinary landscape. Tasting Australia is one of the country’s most anticipated culinary festivals; since its beginnings in 1997, it has grown rapidly in popularity and now boasts a program that includes over 100 events, lunches, dinners, tastings and classes, taking place all over South Australia. Eat and drink your way around South Australia’s regions, tasting the very best produce our State has to offer!
Tasting Australia 2017 runs from 30 April to 7 May 2017. Want to know more? See the Tasting Australia website.
Tasting Australia Beer and Bubbles event, Vardon Avenue
5. Adelaide Festival Tell me more: For more than 55 years Adelaide Festival audiences have delighted in an outstanding mix of internationally acclaimed theatre productions, an eclectic array of world-class musicians, breathtaking dance pieces, renowned writers and striking visual arts displays. 2017 will mark the first Adelaide Festival presented by Co-Artistic Directors Neil Armfield AO and Rachel Healy.
Adelaide Festival runs from 3 to 19 March 2017. Want to know more? See the Adelaide Festival website.
Nelken at the Adelaide Festival
But wait, that’s not all Please, tell me more: You’d better not be partied out, cause we’ve got so much more to offer. We keep the party going throughout the year with the Santos Tour Down Under, OzAsia Festival, Adelaide Fashion Festival, Feast Festival, Adelaide Cabaret Festival, Adelaide Film Festival, Adelaide Guitar Festival, SALA Festival, and Motorsport Festival. Phew!